Terrell Aviation, Inc.
8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
After hours: 972.835.5395
Terrell Municipal Airport Heritage
Municipal Airport was the first American airfield to host a training
school for the British Royal Air Force during WWII. After successfully
negotiating an agreement to locate the flight school in Terrell, local
businessmen raised $35,000 in private funds to buy the land necessary
to build the airport. The first classes arrived in 1941. In order
to maintain the appearance of American neutrality, Royal Air Force
cadets were decommissioned in Canada, travelled to Terrell to train
as civilians, reenlisted in Canada, and then returned to England to
join the fray.
design of the new Major William F. Long Terminal pays homage to the
school’s original control tower. Some 2000 British, Canadian,
and American pilots trained at the No.1 British Flying Training School
and played a major role in securing an Allied victory. Today the No.1
BFTS Museum on the airport grounds celebrates the long-standing cooperation
and friendship between Great Britain and America. The Flights of Our
Fathers Fly In (www.bftsflyin.com),
held each year on the third Saturday in September, honors the contributions
of WWII pilots.
More Airport History
Airport Services Tenant
Information Business Park
Pilot Information Heritage
Links Contact Us